A beautiful laminate floor can set the stage for the room of your dreams. From exotic to traditional, richly detailed to sleek and smooth, laminate floors offer authentic beauty and handcrafted details that can transform a room.
What Exactly is Laminate Flooring?
Laminate flooring is comprised of a hybrid of materials fused together through a unique lamination process.
- A transparent, protective wear layer is highly resistant to dogs, cats, chairs, and even high heels.
- The decorative layer provides a high definition, highly detailed image. Today’s laminate flooring manufacturers have the technology and capability to realistically simulate everything from hardwood to marble to stone.
- A high-density fiberboard core (or HDF) offers impact resistance, stability and long-lasting durability.
- A layer comprised of melamine resin offers additional structural stability and moisture resistance.
- Underlayment (which may or may not be built into the laminate floor product) is a requirement for any installation. It’s helpful in absorbing some of the minor
Select from narrow strip (up to 3”), plank (3” – 5”), wide plank (5” and up), and parquet squares. Board width can easily change the look of a room. Narrow strips create the illusion of more space in a smaller room. With fewer seams, wider width planks showcase the natural beauty of the wood better.
- imperfections in the sub-floor, reducing some noise when walking on the floor, and softening some of the impact. Some underlayments also offer a moisture barrier on one side, which is a good idea for bathroom and wet area installations.
Laminate flooring is easy to install because it requires no glue or fasteners to the subfloor. Instead, it uses a lock and click installation method and“floats” above the subfloor, allowing it to expand and contract with the natural temperature and humidity changes in your home.